1 Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me,
for in you I take refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
until the disaster has passed.
2 I cry out to God Most High,
to God, who vindicates me.
3 He sends from heaven and saves me,
rebuking those who hotly pursue me—
God sends forth his love and his faithfulness.
Psalm 57:1-3 NIV
Ideas for Prayer
Father God, as we come before you today:
- We pray for Yemen. A country that is war-torn, hungry and currently being hit by the coronavirus pandemic too.
- We pray for East Africa, and the horn of Africa, alongside Pakistan and India, as they are plagued by huge locust swarms moving across the land.
- We pray for countries affected by earthquakes this week. We think of, the Aleutians East Borough, Alaska, United States, with the possibilities of tsunami and repeated aftershocks.
- We pray for Bangladesh, Nepal and the eastern states of India, as they experience the worst monsoon flooding for many years.
- As some countries, such as Australia, Hong Kong and China, re-impose some restrictions, we give thanks for the successes seen over recent days in the search for a Covid-19 Vaccine.
- We pray that you would help us as Christians to continue to follow the light you give us. That we may know a purpose which comes from you, giving us confidence in these uncertain times. Amen.
Thank you to our pianist, Gill, for the reflective song, below. She writes,
“This song has been on my heart recently. We all know that there is great power in the combination of prayer and worship. So for such a time as this even though we cannot worship together we can praise God privately in our homes. This supernatural power is available to each of us as we turn to God in prayer and praise. I believe the power of God is released as we praise and worship Him. He is moved by the sound of our voices and in response to our praise and worship strongholds are broken down and we are set free by His great love. I wrote it back in 1985 and it was included in an album by Ichthus Worship Band called “Taking the Ground”.”
Sound of Many Waters
Singing in the languages I’ve given, voices joined in unity.
And don’t you know that as you worship me, strongholds are broken down and the captives freed, as you worship me, I release my power as you worship me.
For I am moved by the sound of your voice, for I am moved by the sound of your praise.
We worship You our Father God and by your breath we are renewed.
We worship You our Father God and in your life we live and move.”
Reading and Sermon
The Blessing (Colossians 1:11-12 NIV)
May you be, “…strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.” Amen.