7 But the Lord is king forever;
he has set up his throne for judgment.
8 He rules the world with righteousness;
he judges the nations with justice.
9 The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed,
a place of safety in times of trouble.
10 Those who know you, Lord, will trust you;
you do not abandon anyone who comes to you.
11 Sing praise to the Lord, who rules in Zion!
Tell every nation what he has done!
12 God remembers those who suffer;
he does not forget their cry,
and he punishes those who wrong them.
13 Be merciful to me, O Lord!
See the sufferings my enemies cause me!
Rescue me from death, O Lord,
14 that I may stand before the people of Jerusalem
and tell them all the things for which I praise you.
I will rejoice because you saved me.
Psalm 9:7-14 NIV
Ideas for Prayer
Father God, as we come before you today:
- We pray that you would give us hearts that yearn for justice.
- May we speak up for those who are oppressed.
- May we have courage in the face of evil.
- We pray for those in the world who are struggling to find the resources they need to respond to the coronavirus pandemic. May they get what they need soon.
- We pray for our nation as we deal with the unpredictability that this virus brings on our everyday activities.
- We pray that you would grant great wisdom to our countries leaders and pray in particular for Boris Johnson at this time.
- We pray for America as they prepare for the coming election.
- We ask that in all situations we might know your presence and goodness near to us. Help us to reflect it out into your world. Amen.
Thank you to our pianist, Gill, for the reflective song, below. She writes,
Here is a new reflective song, I wrote it for Nicki Hooke to sing.
Nicki sings with Asaph (who were due to come to Hawkhurst to give a concert and then lead a healing service in May).
I hope it is a real blessing.
“Holy Spirit hover over everyone. Teach us to be still and let your mighty healing come. Every cry and teardrop You cherish and You see. No one is too far for your great healing power to reach. Listen for His still voice He calls you now by name. He’s closer than a brother, more faithful than a friend. His power has no limits, have faith in Him and be set free, be released”.
Reading and Sermon
The Blessing (1 Timothy 1:17 NIV)
“Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.” – The blessing of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, be with you now and always. Amen.