Does not wisdom call out?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
2 At the highest point along the way,
where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
3 beside the gate leading into the city,
at the entrance, she cries aloud:
4 “To you, O people, I call out;
I raise my voice to all mankind.
5 You who are simple, gain prudence;
you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.[a]
6 Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.
7 My mouth speaks what is true,
for my lips detest wickedness.
8 All the words of my mouth are just;
none of them is crooked or perverse.
9 To the discerning all of them are right;
they are upright to those who have found knowledge.
10 Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
Proverbs 8:1-11 NIV
Ideas for Prayer
Father God, as we come before you today:
- We pray for Beirut, after the explosion which killed 135, injured thousands, displaced 100s of thousands and destroyed huge amounts of property and resources.
- We pray for Beirut as protests take place and as Emmanuel Macron tours the area. We pray for their future and their current political situation.
- We pray that as we face a world where things have been turned on their heads, you would give us the wisdom by which to live and the the words to speak.
- We pray a deep trust in the truth that nothing can thwart your plans and that the Church is still the Church.
- We pray for our local communities as they face the difficulties of this time. Be it fear, unemployment, loneliness, lack of funds, relational difficulties, ill health, loss and more. We pray that your Church might be a voice of hope and consolation and at the same time, point to you as the Saviour and Redeemer of the world.
- We thank you that nothing can happen in this world that will separate it from your love.
- We pray for governments and leaders around the world, that you would give leaders wisdom and the words to say.
- We pray for a continued sense of national unity and a desire to confront the challenges which the coronavirus brings together.
- We pray for the government, as they try to find a balance between our nations health and the economy.
- We pray for the world, particularly those places where there is already, shortages of food and medical supplies, political instability and war.
- We give you thanks that in all circumstances, you are sovereign and we commit these prayers to you in faith today. Amen.
Thank you to our pianist, Gill, for providing the reflective song, below “Have Faith in God”. Gill writes,
Reading and Sermon
May your heart resound with the love of God and your lips proclaim his powerful word. May you know his wisdom in everyday life and a courage that comes from his presence within, this day and always. Amen.